Google Search

Custom Search

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fasolia – Ethopian Green Beans and Carrots

I had an opportunity to try a different Ethiopian restaurant (Cafe Desta) in Tucson a couple of weeks ago and they had Fasolia on the menu – something that the restaurant (Zemam's) that I usually go to doesn't offer. I really liked it, so the other day when I had a friend over for dinner I thought I would make it myself. I looked up several recipes online, looked for similarities and tried to remember the flavors of the dish I enjoyed.  This is what I came up with, I hope that you enjoy it.  Since green beans are now in season, or if you are looking for something to do with your "harvest", give this recipe a try.

If you are not trying to make an authentic dish I think there are several changes you could make to this recipe that would be delicious too! You can add berebere seasoning, crushed red pepper, curry powder, cauliflower, chickpeas, potatoes, etc. to make it taste a little different.

Fasolia – serves 8
2 medium onions, sliced thin
4 c green beans, cut into 1-1 ½” pieces
3 carrots, sliced thin
1 – 1 ½ c stewed tomatoes (no salt added)
2 tsp ginger
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
½ tsp turmeric
2 Tbl olive oil
water, as needed

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes, add green beans and carrots, continue to saute for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and spices, cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes – add water if needed to keep vegetables from sticking to the pan.

Nutritional Data for Fasolia – per serving
Calories 84
Fat 3.6 g
Saturated Fat .5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat .4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 39 mg
Potassium 245 mg
Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Sugars 3.7 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 66.2%
Vitamin C 26.4%
Calcium 4.4%
Iron 5.4%

If you enjoyed this article or this blog – click on the “Subscribe” link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment